Program’s Vision-‘Poverty and hunger free empowered community’
Program’s Goal- ‘To enhance sustainable livelihoods for the poor, extreme poor and the disadvantaged communities living in the poverty pocket areas in Bangladesh’
Program’s Strategic objective- Strengthening and scale-up livelihood interventions based on IRB’s sustainable livelihood framework. Provide facilitation and technical support; transfer asset, skill and technology; stimulate pro-poor markets by engaging private sectors – emphasizing most vulnerable groups and poverty pocket areas in Bangladesh.
Islamic Relief Bangladesh has been implementing livelihood and community development program targeting the 30,937 poor and extreme poor households for the year 2013 in some selected poverty pocket rural and urban areas in Bangladesh. Livelihood and community development interventions can be a very broad area, but it should be need based considering development programming. Concentrated in poverty alleviation, Livelihood Program is focused on strengthening peoples’ organization, awareness raising and empowering community, capacity building training, IGA based skill development, asset/IGA means transfer, subsistence allowance to vulnerable beneficiaries, Sharia based microfinance by self help group mode, CBO formation and functioning; capacity building of CBO members, numeracy and literacy education; community plan and actions; youth groups formation and strengthening, community-led savings, strengthening existing community groups and networks, issue based advocacy campaign (grassroots to national level); IEC materials; lesson learning documentation etc. All the way through delivering the supports and services among the most vulnerable and disadvantage community. Strengthening livelihoods, especially ensuring food security and increasing income opportunities for local communities, is one of the approach to reducing poverty. Also the program has a community model farm in Rangpur that provides on-farm training to the targeted beneficiaries on income generating activities, dairy farm, cow fattening, fisheries and nursery. The program has also established a training centre in Rangpur with dormitory facilities for both internal and external training, workshops, conference, seminar and meeting.
- Health Education and Livelihood Support Program for the Ultra Poor (HELP-UP) Households (Follow-up Phase)
- Community Action Project (CAP)
- Integrated Community Action Project (ICAP)-phase-III
- Community Farm Training through Income Generating Activities (CFT-IGA)
- Rangpur Training Center (RTC)
- Strengthening Peoples’ Actions for Food and Livelihood Security (SAFOLLO)
- Financial Services to the poorest Community for Advancing Livelihoods (FISCAL) project
- Right to Income and Protection (RIP)
- Poverty Reduction of Vulnerable Households through Entrepreneurship Development (PROVED) project